Blogging and SEO: What to consider when writing copy
The blog is a powerful tool. Publishing blog content on a regular basis can provide a number of positive benefits, which include:
- Brand building and awareness.
- Demonstrating your expertise.
- Developing relationships within your niche.
- Creating an engaged and active community.
- Generating leads.
Blogging and SEO copywriting used to be about optimising your copy by writing keywords and key phrases in certain densities and frequencies. While keywords and phrases are still essential, search engines have since changed.
Research shows that a high percentage of the factors that result in how a web page is ranked in search engines is attributed to things that happen off the page itself.
Active blogging can help you:
- Incite more crawling – the more you publish, the more your site gets crawled.
- Attract links – provided you’re promoting your content.
- Generate social awareness.
- Drive more organic traffic.
- Generate changing content to help SEO.
Modern SEO is all about structuring the content so that is is interesting enough that other people want to promote – whether they link to it or share it, this in turn increases your domains trust which aids the pages you want to rank well for your keywords and phrases.
When you write your copy/blogs it’s much more than just filling blog posts with keywords. Firstly research the best keywords. List the words of the products/services you offer and what keywords you would use to search for them. You can even use a keyword research tool like the “Google Keyword Tool.”
Make sure your titles grab peoples attention and it makes people want to read more. Promise a benefit, things like “you’ll learn something from this content.”
Write valuable content – focus on creating quality and value in your content that might answer or solve something for them, you need to give them what they want. The idea is to build a relationship with your readers by helping them out. This will mean more sharing and faster results.
You need to build relevant backlinks in a natural way. A backlink is when another website links back to your site from their site. Backlinks to your OWN content is also really important. Also comment on other blogs… Not only does it get you more traffic, exposure and new relationships, it also counts as a backlink.
Some additional things you need to start considering:
- Tweeting big players.
- Get to know the big players in your niche by casually building a rapport with them on Twitter. Down the track you can hit them up for re-tweets.
- Tweet and Facebook information and facts that don’t appear on your blog. Think of it as a separate resource for people to tap in to.
- The more content you share from other bloggers the more likely they are to share your stuff. Give and then get later.
Learning how to write SEO blog articles and website content takes time and practice. Be sure to check your information is correct and proofread everything. Post new articles every now and then, search engines like to see fresh consistent content added to your website. The more you blog the more you will get to know what helps your sites SEO.